Sunday, September 2, 2012

Marshmallow Math

Using Marshmallows in Math...

 To introduce the concept of place value to my students, I decided to use a manipulative that was familiar and delicious- Marshmallows and Fruit Loops. Each student received marshmallows, Fruit Loops, toothpicks, Marshmallow Math worksheet, and a Place Value Holder worksheet. My students assembled the marshmallows and toothpicks on the Place Value Holder worksheet. Then, I called out 1-, 2-, and 3-digit numbers for them to create using Fruit Loops on the toothpicks. Students quickly figured out that order (value) was extremely important! Once students grasp the concept of 1- and 2-digit numbers, I geared them up to using 3-digit numbers. After we did this successfully several times, the students enjoyed a delicious little snack! :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment