Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gumball Phonics: Long Vowel Words

Gumball Please...

A few weeks ago I was browsing on Pinterest (story of my life) and came across an awesome activity for long vowel words. I adjusted the activity to match the levels of my kiddos and it ended up working out SO well! 

To begin the Gumball Long Vowel activity we discussed that a long vowel word is a word that you can hear the actual sound of the letter. We then brainstormed some long a words. After we thought of a few, I introduced the Long Vowel Gumball Machine! I had several gumballs that had long a words and non long a words. I called on students to come to the front of the room, pick a gumball, ask the class to say what was on the gumball, and decided if it was a long a word. We did this until all the gumballs were either in the machine or in the non long a word pile. 

Students then had the opportunity to create their own Long Vowel Gumball Machine! They started the activity by coloring their gumball machine and gumballs. Then had to decide which gumballs were long a words. Once I checked if their gumballs were in the correct spot, they glued them on, and then I hung their final work!

No comments:

Post a Comment