Wednesday, June 18, 2014

New City, New School, New Experiences!

Welcome to Kindergarten at Ivy Preschool and Kindergarten in Los Angeles, California! I have been truly blessed to teach at this impressive, lively and prestigious school. It's hard not to fall in love with this school... And you will soon see why. From the smiling and laughing children and staff to the bright colors, beautiful decor and excellent resources, it's definitely one of the greatest environments for children to learn as well as for teachers to teach!









Our classroom monkey behavior chart. Students love the theme and enjoy the silly sayings at each behavior level. Each day students start with their clip at "Monkey in the Middle." Throughout the day students are able to move up to "Monkey See, Monkey Do" and then "Top Bananas" for positive behavior and "A little Monkey Business", "Monkey Mischief" and "Gone Bananas" for negative behavior. To purchase this chart, click here.


 For our classrooms reading and writing curriculum, we follow most of Daily Five's framework. I believe it's extremely important for my students to have several opportunities to read to themselves, read to each other, listen to reading, work on sight words and work on their writing every day. The classroom is filled with all types of exciting children's books that my students love to read!

Along with Daily Five, I include a leveled reading program from Reading A to Z. This reading program includes engaging, developmentally appropriate leveled books that builds students' confidence while increasing comprehension, vocabulary and fluency.

Using these two curriculums has created a dramatic impact on my students reading and writing skills. All of my students for the school year of 2013-14, graduated reading at a second grade reading level or higher. This was a huge success!!













Sign Language has been an exciting language for my students to learn. I teach my class along with all students in the school once a week. I created these signs to help finger spell specific places in our room. I also ask students to sign if they need to use the bathroom or need a drink of water during class time. This has helped tremendously with classroom disruptions. 




My precious class that I adore so much!! ^^







No comments:

Post a Comment