Monday, January 14, 2013

Place Value Pyramid

Our mathematics skill for this week is reviewing place value. Today we completed a "Place Value Pyramid" worksheet. I was a little hesitant of this activity at first, but it ended up being a HUGE success. Before beginning this activity we reviewed each place value and the importance of each place. After I felt they had grasps the concept I began to model how to complete this worksheet. 

To start this activity each student received a worksheet, pencil and a deck of cards (numbers 2-9). Students randomly selected 6 cards and created a pyramid on their table. Then they flipped over the ones place value (the top card) and wrote the number on their worksheet. Followed by the tens place value (the middle cards) and then the hundreds place value (the bottom cards). When they completed the worksheet they came to me for a check. During "checking" time they had to read me each hundreds number. If students struggled I wrote the expanded form of the hundreds number (243 would be 200 + 40 + 3). 




No comments:

Post a Comment